Saturday, June 04, 2005

What Hasn't Happened in the War on Terror

During my blogging sabbatical, I looked over some of the predicitons of the anti-war crowd posted during the late winter and early spring of 2003. I was struck by the number of things that haven't happened. Now, I know my writting this will cause it to happen, but there has been no mass attack on oil shipments in the Persian Gulf. That was the most frequent prediction. CNN even had an animation of how one big tanker sunk in just the right spot could cut off 50% of oil flow from the Gulf states indefinitely.

Well, it hasn't happened. I think our naval presence in the Gulf is one factor, but I think the kitchen table is the other. Oil fuels the terror network as much as it fuels American automobiles. Though Usama and his amen corner in academia (Ward Churchill) denounce the oil industry, they understand that without oil, the international terrorist movement is dead.

If I'm right, then it would seem economic warfare would be the most effective. (Bear with me--I'm thinking at the keyboard here.) At the risk of sounding like a tree hugger, I think $2.50-$3.50 per gallon fuel would be a good trade for peace, so long as that peace came about because the enemy starves to death, literally and figuratively.

Thoughts?